Breast reconstruction is rarely completed in a single surgery. Instead, it involves secondary procedures to shape, refine, or otherwise improve the reconstructed breasts. Nipple reconstruction is one of those additional procedures. If you’re considering adding it to your surgical plan, there are a few things you should know about nipple reconstruction, including that:
- It rebuilds an elevated nipple: This procedure creates a new nipple that projects outward from the reconstructed breast. Many women find that this makes their results more realistic.
- Reconstructed nipples don’t have sensation: Your new nipples will not respond to touch or changes in temperature. They won’t change size or have any erogenous (sexual) sensation.
And it’s also unlikely for them to regain feeling. If they do regain feeling, it will be very little.
- It’s a minor procedure with a short recovery: If you want to pursue nipple reconstruction but don’t like the idea of another surgery, you can put some of your worries to rest. This procedure is minor. It’s performed under local anesthesia and the recovery is quite short.
- Most patients are very happy with their results: Nipple reconstruction surgery ranks high in patient satisfaction. 98 percent of patients in a multi-center study on nipple reconstruction using the Biodesign Nipple Reconstruction Cylinder would recommend the procedure. Our surgeons sometimes place this cylinder to create a scaffolding that promotes good results.
- Not everyone is a good candidate for nipple reconstruction: Nipple reconstruction is unnecessary after a nipple-sparing mastectomy. In addition, it may not be appropriate for certain patients who have significant skin damage due to radiation or a history of breast infections.
Discover Nipple Reconstruction in Denver
Our board-certified plastic and reconstructive surgeons will gladly explain your options for enhancing your breast reconstruction results. Nipple reconstruction is something that we frequently discuss with our patients. It’s a safe and effective procedure worth considering.
Call 303-706-1100 today to schedule a consultation. Meeting with our team is the best way to get the information you need. The Breast Center Park Meadows Cosmetic Surgery serves Denver, Lone Tree, and other areas of Colorado.