Many women can beat breast cancer, particularly when it is detected and treated in the early stages. And that is one of the reasons why Breast Cancer Awareness Month is so crucial. October is set aside as a reminder to all of us to raise awareness of the importance of screening and early detection. Consider these facts from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention:
- 200,000 women get breast cancer in the US each year, and 40,000 women die from the disease each year
- About 1 in 8 women born today in the US will get breast cancer at some point
- Less than 1 percent of breast cancers affect men, but it is possible
- You can be diagnosed with breast cancer at any age. Most women who get breast cancer are age 50 or older, but about 10 percent of new cases in the US affect women under age 45
- Second only to skin cancer, breast cancer is one of the most common cancers among women in the US
- From the US Preventive Services Task Force: If you are 50 to 74 years old, have a mammogram every two years. If you are 40 to 49 years old, you and your doctor should discuss the timing and frequency of mammograms that will be right for you
- Some women do not experience any early symptoms of breast cancer
- If you do have symptoms, they may include changes in the size or shape of a breast, breast pain, abnormal discharge from the nipple, and/or a new lump in the underarm or breast
Another crucial part of the equation is making sure women are fully informed of their breast reconstruction options. Research has shown that only a small percentage of women get this important information. But knowing your options for reconstruction is so important, because you deserve to know the facts so you can decide whether it is right for you.
To schedule a reconstructive breast surgery consultation with our experienced and board-certified plastic surgeons in Lone Tree, CO, please call The Breast Center Park Meadows Cosmetic Surgery at (720) 457-4461.