You already know how important it is to lay the right groundwork for surgery. After all, you have experience getting ready for a mastectomy procedure as well as breast reconstruction. But now that you’re pursuing corrective surgery to address complications or aesthetic imperfections, you might want more information about the specific pre-operative guidelines our surgeons will issue.
It’s important to understand that the steps to prepare for breast reconstruction revision can vary from one patient to the next. For example, a patient who smokes will need to quit before surgery. Meanwhile, a patient who doesn’t smoke won’t need to worry about that requirement.
It’s also worth noting that getting ready for a technique such as fat grafting will look different than getting ready for a procedure such as breast implant removal followed by a DIEP flap. Due to these considerations, it’s crucial to follow the specific directions that our surgeons will provide.
In general, these tips can help you prepare for your upcoming breast reconstruction revision:
- Stop smoking at least one month prior to surgery.
- Complete lab testing or medical evaluations as required.
- Discontinue blood-thinning medications, Vitamin E, and herbal supplements at least one or two weeks before surgery. These medications can result in prolonged bleeding.
- Report any sign of an infection or cold that appears the week before your surgery.
- Fill your prescriptions and bring them with you on the day of your procedure.
- Follow all instructions regarding eating and drinking before your surgery.
- Take time off work. Our surgeons can let you know how long you might need to recover.
- Arrange for a ride to and from surgery. Get someone to stay with you for the first night.
Get Personalized Pre-Op Directions
Our board-certified plastic and reconstructive surgeons will provide pre-operative instructions based on your unique situation and the details of your revision procedure. Call 303-706-1100 today to schedule your consultation. The Breast Center Park Meadows Cosmetic Surgery proudly serves Denver, Lone Tree, and other areas of Colorado. We also welcome patients who travel to our practice from out of town or out of state for extraordinary care.